Custer County is named for George Armstrong Custer, who was a United States colonel defeated and killed at the Battle of Little Bighorn.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Fremont County
E – Pueblo County
S – Huerfano County
W – Saguache County
Created: March 9, 1877
Westcliffe 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Westcliffe
Location: 205 6th Street South / Edwards Avenue
Built: 1929 – 1939
Architect: John James Huddart of Denver
Contractor: The Welton Builders
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of Westcliffe. The center section of west front projects from the main building and has a stone trimmed recessed entrance on the first story, a double arched window on the second story and two ornamental urns at the top. The windows on the second story are arched. The roof line is flat. In the interior the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 11th Judicial District.
See: The architect, John J Huddart of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Adams County, Arapahoe County, Cheyenne County, Elbert County, Logan County, Saguache County, Summit County and Washington County and in Nebraska in Deuel County and Garden County.
See: The 11th Judicial District includes Chaffeee County, Fremont County and Park County.
History: The county was created in 1877 and Ula was selected as the county seat. In 1878 the county seat was moved to Rosita and a one story log cabin was erected as the first courthouse. In 1886 the county seat was moved to Silver Cliff. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built by Hiram Welker in 1889. The building was enlarged by Charles E Brewer in 1894. In 1928 the county seat was moved to Westcliffe. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1929 to 1930.
County Courthouse - Westcliffe
Photos taken 2011