Arapahoe County is named for Arapahoe County in the Kansas Territory, which was named for the Arapahoe Native American Nation.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: Novemver 4, 1861
Denver 1861 – 1902
Littleton 1902 – present
Old County Courthouse – Littleton
Location: 2069 West Littleton Blvd / South Court Place
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Mission Revival
Architect: John James Huddart of Denver
Contractor: A B McDonald
Description: The building faces west and is a two buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground at the top of a low hill in the center of Littleton. The building has a raised basement. The west front has a central entrance on the first story with a small balcony above. On the roof is a large dormer. Overhanging eves have stone brackets at each corner. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with black colored dome. In the interior are hardwood floors, cherrywood stair rails and tin ceilings. The former courtroom is located on the second story and has the original judge’s bench and a high ceiling. In 1948 a wing was constructed on the west side. In 1988 the building became the Littleton Municipal Courthouse and houses the Municipal Court. The building was restored in 1998 to 2000 and the 1948 addition was removed. The architect was Andrews and Anderson.
See: The architect, John J Huddart of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Adams County, Cheyenne County, Custer County, Elbert County, Logan County, Saguache County, Summit County and Washington County and in Nebraska in Deuel County and Garden County.
County Courthouse – Littleton
Location: 1970 West Main Street / South Nevada Street
Built: 1983 – 1984
Architect: Metz, Train & Youngren
Description: The building faces east and is a two light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground in the center of Littleton. The east front has a central entrance and rises to a large curved concrete arch with large recessed window. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 18th Judicial District. The building is named as the Arapahoe Plaza. The county purchased the property in 1994 and redesigned the building for use as a courthouse. The architect was Waring, McLaughlin Architects of Denver.
County Justice Center - Centennial
Location: 2325 South Potomac Street / East Fremont Avenue
Built: 1996 – 1998
Contractor: A D Miller Services, Inc
Description: The building faces northeast and is a six story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in Centennial to the east of Littleton. The northeast front has a high glass panel wall with entrance at the center of the first story. The roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 18th Judicial District. The project manager was Crestone Management, Inc.
County Administration Building – Littleton
Location: 5334 South Prince Avenue / West Crestine Avenue
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: Frank and Lundquist Architects
Description: The build faces west and is a three story glass and concrete structure.. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Littleton. The first and second stories are recessed. The roof line is flat.
County Building – Aurora
Location: 14980 East Alameda Drive / East Alameda Parkway
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Barker Rinker Seacat Architecture
Contractor: Saunders Norwood Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story light red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Aurora. The southwest front has a central entrance framed with concrete and having a large window on the second story. On the southwest corner is a one story concrete section. The roof line is flat. The building houses county offices and the Commissioners. The building is named as the Aurora County CentrePoint.
Note: In 1861, Arapahoe County was one of the 17 original counties.
History: The county was created in 1861 and Denver was selected as the county seat. The county met in various buildings in Denver. The first courthouse was a three story structure designed by Frederick Carl Eberly and built by Lester Fillmore and Peter Gumry at 16th Street and Court Place in 1883. The building was enlarged in 1893 and the architect was Frank Anderson. The building was razed in 1934. In 1902 Denver became a separate county and the county seat was moved to Littleton. County officials shared space in the two story frame Town Hall at 2450 West Main Street as the second courthouse. In 1907 to 1908 the third courthouse was constructed at a cost of $51,845. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1996 to 1998.
County Courthouse -
County Justice Center – Centennial
County Administration Building – Littleton
Photos taken 2011