Adams County is named for Alva Adams, who was the fifth, tenth and fourteenth Governor of the State of Colorado.
Created: Novemver 15, 1902
Brighton 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Brighton
Location: 1100 Judicial Drive / East 152 Avenue
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: Anderson Mason Dale of Denver and Hellmuth Obata & Kassabaum
Contractor: M A Mortenson Company of Denver
Description: The building faces west and is a six story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds and is ”L” shaped. The roof line is flat. The west front has a large one story entrance section with glass panel walls. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse ( City Hall ) - Brighton
Location: 450 South 4th Avenue / East Southern Street
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: Anderson Mason Dale of Denver
Contractor: The Perl-Mack Companies of Denver
Description: The building faces west and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the spacious grounds of the former fairgrounds. The rectangular building has horizontal windows with dividers. The central entrance on the first story has a projecting section with glass panel walls. The building now serves as the City Hall.
County Administration – Brighton
Location: 4430 South Adams County Parkway / East 124th Avenue
Built: 2007 – 2010
Architect: Gensler & Associates
Contractor: Saunders Construction Inc. of Centennial
Description: The buildings face southwest and is a complex of brick, concrete and glass structures. The complex is located on spacious grounds. The center section has a five story building with projecting wings and a recessed center with glass panel walls. On the north and south sides are one story building connecting to the central building. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Brighton
Location: 22 South 4th Avenue / East Bridge Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John James Huddart
Contractor: A B McDonald
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. A white colored cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building was enlarged in 1939. The architect was Richard O Perry and Lester L Jones and the contractor was N R Nielsen of Denver. The building is the Historic City Hall.
Note: The Hall of Justice was constructed at East Bridge Street and 19th Street in 1961 to 1963. The circular building was demolished when the Courthouse on 4th Street was completed in 1977.
Photos taken 2011 and 2016