Ventura County

US States / A-G / California / Ventura County
1819C13

Ventura County is named for San Buenaventura which is Spanish for St. Bonaventure.

 

Created:  March 22, 1872

County Seat: 

Ventura  1872

 

Old County Courthouse – Ventura

 

Location:  501 Poli Street / North California Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Albert C Martin Sr.

Contractor:  Los Angeles Planing Mill Company of Los Angeles.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored terra cotta and concrete structure. The center section projects from the main building and has a central entrance on the first story with arched windows on the second story and four columns rising to the top of the second story. A wide cornice runs above the second story with a cornice at the roof line and recessed section above with a sloped green colored roof. The east and west wings have vertical columns with arched windows on the first story. A balustrade runs along the roof line. The building now serves as the Ventura City Hall.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by William Dewey Hobson and constructed by W D Hobson and T B Steepleton in 1872. Additions were constructed in 1879 and 1884. The cost of construction of the 1912 courthouse was $225,000.

 

County Courthouse – Ventura

 

1846c13

 

Location:  800 South Victoria Avenue / Thile Street

Built:  1977 – 1980

Style:  Modern

Architect:  John Carl Warnecke and Associates and Daniel L Dworsky FAIA and Associates

Contractor:  Turner Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is named as the Hall of Justice and is located on the landscaped Ventura County Government Center. The building forms an “L” shape with a north and east wing. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The Ventua County Public Facilities Corporation supervised construction

 

County Administration – Ventura

 

1856c13

 

Location:  800 South Victoria Avenue / Thile Street

Built:  1977 – 1980

Style:  Modern

Architect:  John Carl Warnecke and Associates and Daniel L Dworsky FAIA and Associates

Contractor:  Turner Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the landscaped Ventura County Government Center and is located on the south side of the Hall of Justice. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The Ventua County Public Facilities Corporation supervised construction.

 

See:  District Court of Appeal – Ventura

 

Courthouses: 

N – Kern County

E – Los Angeles County

S – Pacific Ocean

W – Pacific Ocean and Santa Barbara County

 

 

 

1843c13

 

 

1832c13

 

 

1822c13

 

 

1823c13

 

 

1824c13

 

 

1825c13

 

 

1826c13

 

 

1830c13

 

 

1833c13

 

 

1845c13

 

 

1844c13

 

 

1847c13

 

 

1850c13

 

 

1851c13

 

 

1852c13

 

 

1857c13

 

 

1859c13

 

 

1861c13

 

 

1862c13

 

 

1865c13

Photos taken 2013