Tuolumne County is named for the Tuolumne River, which name means “cave people” or “stone wigwams”.
Created: February 18, 1850
Sonora 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Sonora
Location: 41 Yaney Avenue / North Norlin Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Mooser & Son of San Francisco
Contractor: Charles F McCarthy
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored Roman pressed brick, Colusa sandstone and concrete structure. The building sits on the side of a hill which descends to the east. On the north front double stairs ascend to a one story portico supported by two groups of three stone Corinthian columns and with balcony on the second story. The entrance is arched and rises to an arched window on the second story. A square clock tower rises above the roof line. The tower has small arched windows with clock above and open cupola at the top. The red colored tile roof is pitched.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $105,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Tuolumne County Courthouse.
County Administration – Sonora
Location: 2 South Green Street / West Jackson Street
Built: 1978 – 1980
Architect: RVA / Dean Unger
Contractor: Ticon Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building sits on the side of a hill which descends to the east. The north entrance is on the second story. The building has large vertical windows which project from the building. The roof has a wide overhang.
County Office Building – Sonora
Location: 40 Yaney Avenue / North Norlin Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Angello-Vitiello-Nitya, Inc
Contractor: Harold J Younger Construction
Description: The building faces south and Built in 1981, the modern building is a four story yellow colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1982. The south central entrance on the first story is recessed. The east side of the front rises in tiers. The west side of the front has recessed horizontal windows. The building is the Albert N Francisco Building.
E – Mono County
Photos taken 2013