Tulare County

US States / A-G / California / Tulare County
1612C13

Tulare County is named for Tulare Lake, which is named for the tule rush plant a species of bulrush that line the marshes and sloughs of the lake.

 

Created:  April 20, 1852

County Seat: 

Visalia  1852 – present

 

County Courthouse – Visalia 

 

Location:  221 South Mooney Boulevard / West Main Street

Built:  1955 – 1957

Style:  Modern

Architect:  David H Horn, Marshall D Mortland and Richard P Clark

Contractor:  E H Moore & Sons

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building forms a “T” shape with north and south wings at the southwest end of the building. The main entrance is along the southeast side where the east section has an open passage way on the first story. A one story section of the building extends south from the passage way on the east side and a three story section with glass panel walls also extends south, on the west side. The west part of the building has horizontal concrete bands between the stories with horizontal windows. The roof line is flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Visalia 

 

1630c13

 

Location:  230 North Court Street / East Center Street

Built:  1934 – 1935

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Ernest J Kump

Contractor:  Frank J Reilly

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has dual steps leading to the first story entrance. The center section projects in tiers from the main building with a recessed entrance and recessed windows on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The building now houses the Tulare County Department of Social Services. On the south side is the one story brick and concrete Tulare County Welfare Building constructed in 1975. The architect was Harry G Krikorian and the contractor was Lewis C Nelson & Sons.

 

County Administration – Visalia 

 

1623c13

 

Location:  2800 West Burrel Avenue / South Woodland Drive

Built:  1979 – 1980

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Walter Douglas Vogel Associates

Contractor:  Harris Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story cream colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a central recessed entrance. The north side of the building projects and is higher. A porch runs along the east and south sides.  The roof line is flat.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Fresno County

E – Inyo County

S – Kern County

W – Kings County

 

 

 

1614c13

 

 

1613c13

 

 

1612c13

 

 

1616c13

 

 

1618c13

 

 

1619c13

 

 

1620c13

 

 

1631c13

 

 

1632c13

 

 

1628c13

 

 

1634c13

 

 

1635c13

 

 

1636c13

 

 

1621c13

 

 

1622c13

 

 

1625c13

 

 

1626c13

Photos taken 2013