Tehama County is named for Tehama, who were a local Native American tribe.
Created: April 9, 1856
Tehama 1856 – 1857
Red Bluff 1857 – present
Old County Courthouse – Red Bluff
Location: 633 Washington Street / Oak Street
Built: 1920 – 1922
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George C Sellon & Company of Sacramento
Contractor: Mathews Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and stone style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large porch with eight columns rising to a wide header. The recessed entrance has a small pediment above the door. On the north and west sides of the courthouse is the County Courthouse Annex consisting of two story red colored brick and concrete structures constructed from 1978 to 1980. The architect was Raymond L Birge & Associates and the contractor was William D Johnson Company, Inc. On the west side is the County Jail which was constructed in 1976 to 1977. The architect was Raymond L Birge & Associates and the contractor was Welch Construction, Inc. In 1994, the building was remodeled and expanded. The architect was Lionakis-Beaumont Design Group and the contractor was Donald F Gallino, Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by B C Nusbaum and built by Virgil Baker in 1860. An addition was built in 1880.
County Courthouse – Red Bluff
Location: 740 Walnut Street / Hook Road
Built: 2014 – 2016
Architect: LPAS Architects
Contractor: Rudolph and Sletten, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the center of the city. The southwest front Has vertical dividers with recessed glass walls. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $56,000,000.
N – Shasta County
Old County Courthouse
Picture courtsey of Tehama County
County Courthouse Annex
Pictures taken 2013