Siskiyou County is named for the Siskiyou Mountain Range, which is named for the Cree word meaning “bob-tailed horse” or for the French “six caiiloux” meaning “six stones”.
Created: March 22, 1852
Yreka 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Yreka
Location: 311 4th Street / Butte Street
Built: 1856 – 1857
Architect: R L Westbrook and H T Shepherd
Contractor: R L Westbrook and H T Shepherd
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and wood structure. The building has a projecting west center section and porch on the first story. The building is connected on the east side to the new building. Additions were added in 1885, and 1896 to 1897 when two wings were constructed. The architect was W J Bennet. In 1953 to 1954, a concrete addition was constructed on the east side in front of the original structure. Thew building is a two story rectangular shaped buff colored concrete structure. The east front has a projecting center section and a central recessed entrance on the first story. A wide band runs below the flat roof line. The architect was Robert J Keeney.
Note: In 1856, the contract was awarded to A Witheral at $15,470 and the contract was then assigned to R L Waestbrook and H T Shepherd. The total cost of construction was $16,779.
E – Modoc County
Photos taken 2015