San Mateo County is named for the Spanish for “Saint Matthew”.
Created: February 18, 1856
Redwood City 1856 – present
Old County Courthouse – Redwood City
Location: 2200 Broadway / Hamilton Street
Built: 1904 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival and Italian Renaissance
Architect: George A Dodge and J W Dolliver of San Francisco
Contractor: American-Hawaiian Engineering and Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story style structure. The building was damaged by an earthquake in 1906 and was rebuilt and completed in 1910. The architect was Glenn Allen of San Francisco and the contractor was Joseph J O’Brien Construction Company of San Francisco. The building has brick with sandstone facing. In 1933 and 1941, the front façade was constructed and the building was expend. The architect was W H Toepke. The building was restored and the annex was demolished in 2005 to 2006. The architect was DES Architects and the contractor was Gonzalves and Sronck. The building is now the San Mateo County History Museum.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1858 and remodeled in 1871.
County Hall of Justice – Redwood City
Location: 400 Broadway / Hamilton Street
Built: 1954 – 1956
Architect: Michael Goodman
Contractor: James T Barnes, Company of Redwood City and K E Parker of San Francisco
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete structure with an eight story concrete tower on the west side. The north front has vertical pillars supporting a projecting roof. Behind the pillars is grillwork concrete. The first story is recessed with glass panels. Along the east side the windows are horizontal. With vertical dividers between. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Hall of Justice.
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2015