San Luis Obispo County is named for the Spanish meaning “Saint Louis the Bishop”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Monterey County
E – Kern County
W – Pacific Ocean
Created: February 18, 1850
San Luis Obispo 1850 – present
County Courthouse – San Luis Obispo
Location: 1050 Monterey Street / Osos Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: A R Walker and P A Eisen
Contractor: Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story cream colored stucco and concrete structure. The southwest front has a high center section with glass panel entrance on the first story. Above are three long vertical windows. The northwest and southeast wings project from the main building. The building has a red colored tile roof. During construction, the supervisor was Charles D Eggleston. On the northeast side is a modern annex.
Photos taken 2013