Placer County is named for the small flakes of gold found in the area during the California Gold Rush.
Created: April 15, 1851
Auburn 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Auburn
Location: 101 Maple Street / Lincoln Way
Built: 1894 – 1898
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John Curtis of San Francisco
Contractor: Richard McMann
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a projecting wing with wide steps leading up to the porch on the second story which has six columns rising to a balcony at the third story. Above the balcony are four vertical pilasters rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a large portico on the east side. A balustrade runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome with columns and a lantern at the top. The base of the building is rough stone. The building was restored in 1986.
Note: John Curtis also designed the courthouse in Glenn County.
Other Branch Courthouses
W – Sutter County
Photos taken 2013