Nevada County is named for the Spanish word meaning “snowfall”.
Created: May 18, 1851
Nevada City 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Nevada City
Location: 201 Church Street / North Pine Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: George C Sellon of Sacramento
Contractor: Linndren & Swinerton Inc
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building has a central tower with lower wings. The southeast front has a central entrance with three high vertical concrete dividers with glass panels between. At the top is a clock. On the east and west sides of the front are one story wings with curved glass windows. The roof line is flat. During construction, the supervisor was Robert Steger. On the east side is the Courthouse Annex constructed in 1964. The architect was Mau & Barnum.
Note: The 1856 courthouse was a two story granite and brick Greek Revival style building. The building burned in 1863 and some of the bricks were used in the Masonic Hall. In 1864, the building was rebuilt and in 1900, a third story was added. In 1n 1937, the building was rebuilt in the Art Deco style.
County Administration – Nevada City
Location: 950 Maidu Avenue / Highwat 48
Built: 1985 – 1986
Architect: Williams & Paddon, Inc.
Contractor: J R Roberts, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The south front has a large projecting section with peaked roof and glass paneled wall with entrance on the first story. There are vertical pillars along the exterior walls with a wide horizontal division between the first and second stories. The sloped roof overhangs the building.
N – Sierra County
E – Washoe County, Nevada
S – Placer County
W – Yuba County
Photos taken 2013