Monterey County is named for Monterey Bay which is named after the Spanish words “monte” meaning “hill” and “rey” meaning “king”.
Created: February 18, 1850
Salinas 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Salinas
Location: 240 Church Street / Alisal Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Robert Stanton and Charles Butner
Contractor: Barrett and Hilp Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a two story and three story structure. The building is located on the southeast side on the County Complex in the center of the city. The building has an open courtyard in the center where the old courthouse stood. The building is rectangular with “U” shaped east and west wings extending around the courtyard. The roof line is flat. The building contain decorative elements and the artist was Joseph Jacinto “Jo” Mora.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Jacob Lenez, Jr, and constructed in 1878. The building was razed in 1936 when the present courthouse was constructed. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $450,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Monterey County Courthouse
County Administration – Salinas
Location: 168 West Alisal Street / Capitol Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Wald, Ruhnke & Dost and Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum ( HOK )
Contractor: SKANSKA and Ausonia Incorporated of Castroville.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the northwest side of the courthouse in the center of the city and is square shaped with red colored siding. At the southeast corner is a concave section with entrance on the first story and glass walls above. The roof line is flat.
Other Branch Courthouses
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2015