Mendocino County is named for Antonio de Mandoza, who was a Viceroy of Spain.
Created: February 18, 1850
Ukiah 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Ukiah
Location: 100 North State Street / West Perkins Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Style: Modern / Art Deco
Architect: C A Caulkins, Jr. of Santa Rosa
Contractor: Carl N Swenson
Description: The building faces east and is a four story structure. The north and south wings project eastwards. The recessed center section has a wide set of steps leading to the entrance on the second story. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the old stone jail constructed in 1928.
Note: The first court was held in the Musical Hall on Main Street. In 1859, a contract was awarded to E Rathbun for $6,000 to build the first courthouse which was completed in 1860. In 1872, the second courthouse contract was awarded A P Petit whose plans were accepted and the building was completed in 1873. The building was razed in 1950 when the present courthouse was constructed.
Note: A proposed new courthouse is to be constructed on East Clay Street in 2017. The architect is Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP.
Fort Bragg Justice Center – Fort Bragg
Location: 700 South Franklin Street / Cypress Street
Built: 1990 – 1991
Architect: Roland / Miller / Associates
Contractor: Joe Moura Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a one story green colored structure. The west front of the rectangular shaped has a wide projecting porch at the center. The building has double windows. The roof is hipped.
S – Sonoma County
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2015