Madera County is named for the Spanish word meaning “wood”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Mono County
S – Fresno County
W – Fresno County
Created: March 11, 1893
Madera 1893 – present
Old County Courthouse – Madera
Location: 210 Yosemite Avenue / North G Street
Built: 1900 – 1902
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Hugh Braunton of Fresno
Contractor: Madera Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story granite structure. The granite facing came from Raymond Granite quarries. The northwest front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story with an arch supported by two columns. On the second story is a balcony with recessed arch and columns behind. At the roof line is a pediment. A wide cornice runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with clock and small cupola at the top. The building is surrounded by spacious landscaped grounds. The building now houses a museum.
Note: A fire on December 8, 1906, destroyed the clock tower. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $100,000. The land for the courthouse was donated by Thomas E Hughes and his son William M Hughes.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Madera County Courthouse.
County Courthouse – Madera
Location: 209 Yosemite Avenue / North G Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story yellow colored concrete and glass structure. The building is the former Lincoln Elementary School. The south front has a central entrance with extended canopy and glass panels above the glass doorways. The square windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. There is an east and west wing which extend south from the main building and these buildings have hipped roofs. The building was remodeled in 1955. The architect was Charles D James and the contractor was A C King Inc.
New County Courthouse – Madera
Location: 256 West 6th Street / South G Street
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: A C Martin Partners, Inc.
Contractor: Gilbane Building Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is presently under construction with completion in the Spring 2014. The old courthouse is on the north side.
County Administration – Madera
Location: 200 West 4th Street / North G Street
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: Dreyfuss & Blackford
Contractor: Hensel Phelps Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story concrete. steel and glass structure. The first three stories are a cream colored concrete and the fourth story is a grey colored concrete with large windows. On the south and north sides,. the center section is recessed and higher than the main building. The roof line is flat. The building is the Madera County Government Center.
Photos taken 2013 and 2015