Kings County is named for the Kings River which was named “Rio de los Santos Reyes” or “River of the Holy Kings” to honour the Biblical Magi.
Created: March 22, 1893
Hanford 1893 – present
Old County Courthouse – Hanford
Location: 114 West 8th Street / North Douty Streett
Built: 1896 – 1897
Architect: William H Wilcox
Contractor: John Haggerty
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick concrete and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has a projecting center section with porch on the first story with recessed entrance. On the second story is an upper porch with three large arches and above is a pediment with circular window. At each corner of the building is a large square tower with step roof. The foundation is rough stone. The roof is gabled. The building was expanded in 1914. The architect was Carl Thayer and Henri Dorlot and the contractor was Trewhitt-Shield Construction Company. The building is now a commercial center called Courthouse Square.
Note: The cost of construction was $26,364. The adjoining County Jail was constructed in 1898 with an addition in 1913.
County Courthouse – Hanford
Location: 1426 South Drive / Kings County Drive
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: Kaiser Engineers, Inc. of Oakland
Contractor: Robert G Fisher Company, Inc. of Fresno.
Description: The building faces south and are one story dark red colored brick and concrete structures. The buildings face south and were completed in 1977. The complwx is comprised of five buildings. On the west side are Court Buildings A, B & C. On the east side is a large courtyard with the Administration Building on the north side and the Financial Building on the east side. Each building has vertical concrete pillars with recessed wall and sloped roofs. The Administration Building has a raised roof section in the center.
N – Fresno County
E – Tulare County
S – Kern County
Photos taken 2013