Inyo County

US States / A-G / California / Inyo County
2269C13

Inyo County is named for a Native American word meaning “dwelling place of the great spirit”.

 

Created:  March 22, 1866

County Seat: 

Independence  1866 – present

 

County Courthouse – Independence  

 

Location:  168 North Edwards Street / East Center Street

Built:  1920 – 1921

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  William H Weeks of San Francisco

Contractor:  William McCombs & Son ( William McCombs and Paul Daniel ) of Bishop

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cream colored terra-cotta finish and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The pediment contains a frieze. The recessed entrance has brass doors. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The architect was and the contractor was . The building is located on landscaped grounds with large pine trees.

 

Note:  The courtroom has seats with hat racks under the seat.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Inyo County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse Annex – Independence  

 

2289c13

 

Location:  168 North Edwards Street / East Center Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Calvin W Goss and Allan K Choy

Contractor:  Colombo Constriction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is built into a slope along the south side of the courthouse. There are windows on the north and south sides. A passage way runs through the central part of first story. The eave extends from the building and the  roof line is flat.

 

County Courthouse  – Bishop

 

2299c13

 

Location:  301 West Line Street / Warren Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Schoolhouse

Architect:  Charles Wonacott of Bishop

Contractor:  Charles Wonacott of Bishop

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored stucco and concrete structure. The courthouse occupies the old Bishop Grammar School. The south front has a central entrance with a projecting section with framed entrance and recessed doors. Above, the section rises to a peak and has a square open tower on the west side. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The building is named as the Bishop Civic Center and was converted in 1974 for use as a courthouse.

 

Note:   The cost of construction of the school was $15,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mono County

E – Esmeralda County, Nevada, Nye County, Nevada and  Clark County, Nevada

S – San Bernardino County and Kern County

W – Tulare County and Fresno County

 

 

 

2263c13

 

 

2264c13

 

 

2266c13

 

 

2265c13

 

 

2268c13

 

 

2267c13

 

 

2272c13

 

 

2274c13

 

 

2275c13

 

 

2278c13

 

 

2276c13

 

 

2280c13

 

 

2287c13

 

 

2290c13

 

 

2297c13

 

 

2301c13

 

 

2302c13

Photos taken 2013