Fresno County is named for Fresno Creek, which is the Spanish word for “ash tree”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: April 19, 1856
Fresno 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Fresno
Location: 1100 Van Ness Avenue / Fresno Street
Built: 1964 – 1966
Architect: Walter Wagner & Partners
Contractor: Huber, Hurst & Nichols, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is an eight story structure. The building fis rectangular.and has vertical dividers with grill work between. The first story has an open center section, There is a wide overhang at the roof line with a raised flat roof. The building is surrounded by spacious landscaped grounds.
County Hall of Records – Fresno
Location: 12281 Tulare Street / Van Ness Avenue
Built: 1935 – 1937
Architect: Allied Architects of Fresno
Contractor: WPA with local trades
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story stone and concrete Moderne style structure. The southwest front has a central entrance in the north section with ornamentation above. There are five large aluminum framed windows on the second story and on the third story with aluminum spandrel panels, containing herringbone patterns and semicircles between the stories. The roof line is flat. The building is the work of a master architectural designer, Henry P Villalon who embellished with the building with bas-reliefs manufactured by the internationally-renowned terra cotta firm of Gladding, McBean & Company. The architect was Charles H Franklin, H Rafael Lake, Fred L Swartz, E W Peterson, Ernest J Kump and W P Coates of Allied Architects of Fresno and the contractor was Works Project Administration using local trades. An annex was added in 1954 to 1955. The architect was Maurice J Metz.
See: Located in the county is the 5th Appellate District Court of Appeal – Fresno
Old County Courthouse – Friant ( Millerton )
Location: 5290 Millerton Road
Built: 1866 – 1867
Architect: Charles Peck
Contractor: Charles Converse
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the former town of Millerton which is now Friant. The building sits on a pont of land extending into Mellerton Lake. The roof is hipped..
History: The county was created in 1856 and Millerton was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure designed by Charles Peck and built by Charles Converse in 1867 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Fresno in 1874. The second courthouse was designed by Albert A Bennett. The courthouse was enlarge in 1880 and the architect was A William Curlett. After a fire in 1895, the courthouse was further enlarge and the architect was J M Curtis. The Hall of records was constructed in 1935 to 1937. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1966.
Other Branch Courthouses
Clovis / Coalinga / Firebaugh / Kingsbury / Reedley / Sanger / Selma
Photos taken 2013