El Dorado County is named for the mythical “El Dorado, The Gilded One” which was the California Gold Rush.
Created: February 18, 1850
Placerville 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Placerville
Location: 495 Main Street / Bedford Avenue
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Clarence Cecil Cuff of Sacramento
Contractor: Ransome Concrete Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two stone story structure. The south front has a central arched entrance. The second story windows are arched. The eave extends from the building with a horizontal band of ornamentation below. The roof is hipped. The building was restored in 1970 to 1971. The architect was Robert Mason and the contractor was Buetner-Carter and Dent & Associates.
Note: Clarence Cecil Cuff modeled the building after the Boston Library but on a smaller scale. The contract with Ransome Concrete Company is displayed in the entrance lobby.
County Superior Court – Placerville
Location: 2850 Fairlane Court / Fair Lane
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: Murray and Downs Architects
Contractor: Carter Kelly, Inc
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has an extended porch supported by pillars. There is a recessed entrance with glass panels above and a sloped roof. The building descends down a slope on the west side. The roof is sloped. The building houses the Superior Court. .
County Administration – Placerville
Location: 330 – 360 Fair Lane / Ray Lawyer Drive
Built: 1975 – 1976
Contractor: John F Otto
Description: The building faces south and is a two stone story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1976. The south front has a large covered porch connecting to Building A on the south side. The flat roof line extends from the building. The main entrance is on the second story. The building descend north down the slope. There is a large center atrium with plants. The building is named the Administration Center. Building A on the south side was built in 1991 to 1992 and is named the Community Development Building and is connected to Building B on the north side by a long porch. The architect was Ehrlich-Rominger Architects and the contractor was Mark Diversfield, Inc.
N – Placer County
E – Douglas County, Nevada
Photos taken 2013