Butte County is named for Sutter Butte, which was mistakenly thought to be within the borders of the county.
Created: February 18, 1850
Hamilton 1850 – 12853
Bidwell 1853 – 1856
Oroville 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Oroville
Location: One Court Street / County Center Drive
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Michael Ross, Charles Drulis and Dreyfus & Blackford
Contractor: Ginno Construction, Inc. of Chico
Description: The building faces south and is a one story concrete and glass structure. The southeast corner has an octagonal section with octagonal porch supported by concrete pillars and with recessed glass panel walls. There is a south wing and an east wing. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Oroville
Location: 25 Court Street / County Center Drive
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Thomas A Tarman, Gene McFarren and Thomas C Fox
Contractor: Fisher Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The east front has a central glass entrance on the second story. The first story is below ground level with large recessed glass windows on the east side. The south side has horizontal recessed windows on the second story. The roof line is flat. The courthouse is located on the west side.
Old County Courthouse – Oroville
Location: 1859 Bird Street / Lincoln Street
Built: 1856 – 1857
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Reinhart, Bryan & Cook
Contractor: Reinhart, Bryan & Cook
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The north front of the rectangular building has a central entrance which is recessed and there are small windows on both sides. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1919 and in 1951 creating the Art Deco style appearance. The building now houses the Board of Education.
Note: The contract for the original courthouse was $13,585.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Tehama County
E – Plumas County
Photos taken 2013