Yell County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Yell County
Yell -South

Yell County is named for Archibald Yell, who was a Governor of the State of Arkansas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Logan County and Pope County

E – Conway County and Perry County

S – Garland County and Montgomery County

W – Scott County and Logan County

 

Created:  December 5, 1840                  Map of Arkansas highlighting Yell County

County Seat:        

Danville       1840 – present  ( Southern District )

Dardanelle  1875 – present  ( Northern District )

* Yell County has two county seats

 

County Courthouse – Danville

 

Location:  101 East 5th Street / Main Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Renshaw & Taylor AIA

Contractor:  Harold Jones Construction

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red and buff colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on a rise of landscaped ground in the center of Danville. The south front has a wide projecting porch supported by white colored columns. The west side of the building has a large circular section with flat roof line. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial District. T

 

History : The county was created in 1840 and Monrovia was selected as the county seat. In 1844, the county seat was moved to Danville and the first courthouse was built in 1844. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1873. In 1875, Dardanelle was established as the second county seat. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1974 to 1975.

 

County Courthouse – Dardandelle

 

yell-north

 

Location:  108 Union Street / Front Street

Built:  1914 – 1915

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Frank W Gibb of Little Rock

Contractor:  L R Wight and Company of Dallas, Texas

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, wood  and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dardanelle. The building is “T” shaped and the southeast front has a large portico with four white colored Doric columns rising to a wide pediment. A wide white colored band runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal clock tower which is topped with a dome. The courtroom is located on the second story.  The building was renovated in 1973. On the west side is the modern Courthouse Annex constructed in 2006 to 2007 and houses the District Court courtroom. The southeast front has a projecting center section with four white columns, A wide white colored band runs along the flat roof line. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial District and the County District Court of the 12th Judicial District. Behind the courthouse is the County Jail constructed in 1976.

 

See:  The architect, Frank W Gibb of Little Rock also designed courthouses in Bradley CountyCalhoun CountyConway CountyDallas County, Franklin County and Phillips County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Yell County Courthouse (Dardanelle)

 

History:  In 1875, Dardanelle was established as the second county seat. In 1878, the first courthouse was a rented commercial structure on South Front Street between Green and Oak Streets. The building burned on April 12, 1912 and the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1914 to 1915 at a cost of $25,000.

 

 

0811a11

County Courthouse – Danville

 

 

0813a11

 

 

0814a11

 

 

0815a11

 

 

0816a11

 

 

0810a11

 

 

0825a11

County Courthouse – Dardanelle

 

 

0827a11

 

 

0829a11

 

 

0828a11

 

 

0830a11

County Courthouse Annex – Dardanelle

 

 

0823a11

 

 

0831a11

 

 

0832a11

 

 

0833a11

Photos taken 2011