Woodruff County is named for William Woodruff, who was the first newspaper publisher in the State of Arkansas.
Created: November 26, 1862
Augusta 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Augusta
Location: 500 North 3rd Street / Spruce Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Richardson Romanesque Revival
Architect: Charles L Thompson of Little Rock
Contractor: C W Clark of Little Rock
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure.The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southwest corner has a five story square red colored brick tower with clock and steep roof. On the northwest corner is a lower octagonal tower with steep roof. On the southeast corner is a lower square tower with steep roof. The west front has a central arched entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. The interior has a multicolored tile mural which covers the main level, and pine wainscoting adorns the second story courtroom.
Note: In 1862 the first courthouse was a wood frame building in Augusta. In a short time, the second courthouse was a large two room building. In 1870, Thomas Hough, the town founder, sold his 1848 house for $28,000 to become the third courthouse. The cost for construction of the fourth and present courthouse was $30,000. In 1902, the courthouse at Cotton Plant was designed by Charles L Thompson of Little Rock and constructed at a cost of $14,000. A courthouse was built in McCory in 1902..
County Services Center – Augusta
Location: 502 North 3rd Street / Spruce Street
Built: 1972 – 1973
Architect: Environmental Design, Inc..
Contractor: Charles A Lovell.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the east side of the courthouse in the center of the city. The west front has a central entrance on the second story. The entrance to the jail on the south side has a white colored canopy. A wide white colored band runs along the flat roof line.
N – Jackson County
County Services Center
Photos taken 2011