Saint Francis County is named for the Saint Francis River which flows through the county and which is named for Saint Francis of Assisi the patron saint of the Franciscan order.
Created: October 13, 1827
Franklin 1827 – 1840
Madison 1840 – 1855
Mt. Vernon 1855 – 1856
Madison 1856 – 1874
Forrest City 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Forrest City
Location: 313 South Izard Street / Court Avenue
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Cromwell, Neyland, Truemper, Mallett & Gatchell and Bob J Beaver of Forrest City
Contractor: Hatcher Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building sits on the side of a low hill to the south of the center of the city. The west front has a high square red brick tower with clock. The central entrance is recessed with glass walls. The sections along the south part project from the main building and are one story. The north section is two stories with the large courtroom on the second story and the small courtroom on the first story. A wide white colored band runs along the flat roof line. On the east side of the courthouse is the square red colored brick District Court which faces south.
Note: The first court met at the home of William Strong and moved to Franklin. In 1840, it moved to Madison and in 1855 a courthouse was built in Mt. Vernon which burned in 1856. The court moved to Madison until 1874 when a frame courthouse was built in Forrest City. In 1897 the previous courthouse was designed by Rickon & Thompson and constructed by C W Clark.
S – Lee County
Picture 1897 Courthouse
Photos taken 2011, 2012 and 2018