Sevier County is named for Ambrose Sevier, who was a United States Senator from Arkansas.
Created: October 17, 1828
Paraclifta 1829 – 1871
Lockesport 1871 – 1905
De Queen 1905 – present
County Courthouse – De Queen
Location: 115 North 3rd Street / West Stillwater Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Witt, Seibert & Halsey
Contractor: Hardy Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting centre section with an arched entrance on the first story. Brick pillars divide the windows on the second and third stories with a wide header above. There is a wide cornice running below the flat roof line. An addition was added on the north side in 1955 and 1975.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by J T Mclenahan, John DeGroot and Fred DeGroot in 1905.
W – McCurtain County, Oklahoma
Photos taken 2010