Sebastian County is named for William K Sebastian, who was a United States Circuit Court judge.
Created: January 6, 1851
Greenwood 1851 – 1861
Greenwood 1861 – present ( Eastern District )
Fort Smith 1861 – present ( Western District )
County Courthouse – Fort Smith
Location: 35 South Sixth Street / Rogers Avenue
Built: 1937– 1938
Style: Art Deco
Architect: E Chester Nelson of Bassham & Wheeler
Contractor: Manhattan Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The west front has a central entrance framed with stone and projecting from the main building. The north and south wings project and are lower in height. The fourth story is recessed and has a decorative edge along the roof line. The building was constructed under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
District Courts Building – Fort Smith
Location: 901 South B Street / South 10th Street
Built: 2006 – 2008
Architect: Guest Reddick Architects of Fort Smith
Contractor: Beshears Construction, Inc. of Fort Smith.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red brick and concrete structure. The building houses the District Court.
County Courthouse – Greenwood
Location: 301 East Center Street / South Main Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Nelson, Laser, Cheyne
Contractor: Pharaoh Construction Company
Description: The building faces faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large overhanging section supported by four pillars. The glassed entrance on the first story is recessed. The building has a number of square corner sections.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1882. The second courthouse was designed by A Klingensmith and constructed by T T Reddick in 1916. The red colored brick courthouse was damaged by a tornado in 1968.
N – Crawford County
S – Scott County
Old Courthouse 1916
Photos taken 2010