Saline County is named for the salt reserves found within the county.
Created: November 2, 1835
Benton 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Benton
Location: 200 North Main Street / West Sevier Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Charles L Thompson of Little Rock
Contractor: John S Odom
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has a large arched entrance at the center with pediment at the roof line. On the southeast corner rises a four story clock tower with steep roof. On the southwest corner is an octagonal shaped tower. Along the west side is the modern one story addition. The roof is hipped. The architect was Charles L Thompson of Little Rock and the contractor was John S Odom. The building was renovated in 1995 and an addition was added on the northwest side. The architect was Black, Corley, Owens PA of Benton and the contractor was F L Ward Construction Company of Benton.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Jacob Hoover in 1839 at a cost of $3,574. The second courthouse was constructed by Green B Hughes in 1856. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $32,000.
E – Pulaski County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017