Randolph County is named for John Randolph, who was a leader in Congress from Virginia and spokesman for the “Old Republican”.
Created: December 18, 1832
Pocahontas 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Pocahontas
Location: 107 West Broadway / South Marr Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Eugene John Stern
Contractor: E V Bird Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone structure. The north front has five rectangular openings with recessed entrances. The east and west wings are lower. A large aluminum seal of the State of Arkansas over the main entry door behind large square fluted concrete columns. The foyer, which runs across the front of the building, contains three large oil paintings depicting aspects of Arkansas history: one is of Indians, another of the Civil War, and the third, which shows road building, includes an old Studebaker wagon. This courthouse faces a sunken garden with benches, landscaped shrubs, and several lampposts for night illumination. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Pocahontas
Location: 107 East Everett Street / Main Street
Built: 1872 – 1875
Style: Victorian and Italianate
Architect: John A McKay of Helena
Contractor: John A McKay of Helena
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red brick and wood early structure. The building is located at landscaped courthouse square. The east front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is a large arched window. The other windows on the building are narrow and arched. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Thomas O Marr in 1837 to 1838. The cost of construction was $2400 and the building was demolished in 1869.
S – Lawrence County
Photos taken 2009