Pope County is named for John Pope, who was a Governor of the Arkansas Territory.
Created: November 2, 1829
Arkansas River site 1829 – 1830
Norristown 1830 – 1840
Dover 1840 – 1888
Russellville 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Russellville
Location: 100 West Main Street / North Arkansas Avenue
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: H Ray Burks
Contractor: Gordon Walker and Russellville P H Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The superintendent was M Mortensen. The building was renovated in 1994. The architect was Saxton Smith Associates and the contractor was Van Horn Construction, Inc.