Pike County is named for Zebulon Pike, who was the discoverer of Pikes Peak, and who lived from 1779 to 1813.
Created: November 1, 1833
Murfreesboro 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Murfreesboro
Location: Courthouse Square / Main Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Witt, Seibert & Halsey of Texarkana
Contractor: May and Sharp
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Murfreesboro and is constructed in a cross plan with wings that project at four angles. The north front has a central entrance framed with limestone on the first story. The first and second stories are separated by a limestone band. At the roof line is a limestone parapet with a large diamond etched at the center. The building has an east and west wings. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Pike County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1836 and was destroyed by fire in 1855. The second courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built by Moses Brock and Jackson Brock in 1856 and was destroyed by fire in 1895. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1897. The building was razed for the construction of the fourth and present courthouse in 1931 to 1932.
E – Clark County
W – Howard County
County Courthouse - Murfreesboro
Photos taken 2010