Perry County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Perry County
Perry

Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a naval office in the War of 1812 and won a decisive naval victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.

 

Created:  December 18, 1840

County Seat:        

Perryville  1840 – present

 

County Courthouse – Perryville

 

Location:  310 East Main Street / Plum Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  John E Oliver of Perryville

Contractor:  John E Oliver of Perryville

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story cream colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Perryville and is constructed with locally fired brick. The building faces south and was completed in 1889. The entrance on the south side is framed with white colored wood and is recessed. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1958.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was a log cabin built in the old town of Perryville in 1841. The building burned in 1850 and the second courthouse was a log cabin built as a temporary courthouse. The third courthouse was built on the present site in the new town in 1871. The building burned in 1874 and was rebuilt in 1878 as the fourth courthouse which also burned in 1881. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Conway County

E – Faulkner County and Pulaski County

S – Saline County and Garland County

W – Yell County

 

 

 

0804a11

County Courthouse – Perryville

 

 

0799a11

 

 

0800a11

 

 

0801a11

 

 

0803a11

 

 

0806a11

 

 

0797a11

Photos taken 2011