Newton County is named for Thomas W Newton, who was a State Senator and a member of the United States House of Representatives from Arkansas.
Created: December 14, 1842
Parthenon 1842 – 1843
Jasper 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Jasper
Location: 100 Court Street / Stone Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Works Progress Administration
Contractor: Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces north and is a two story reinforced concrete and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is “H” shaped with projecting east and west sections. The central entrance is framed with granite at the top. The roof line is flat. The building is a Work Progress Administration. project. The building was remodeled in 2003. The architect was Jeff Laur.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Newton County Courthouse
Note: The previous courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1938.
E – Searcy County
Photos taken 2011