Mississippi County is named for the Mississippi River which borders the eastern side of the county, and which name is derived from the Algonquin Indian word “missi” meaning “great” and “seepee” meaning “water”.
Created: November 1, 1833
Chickasawba Bluff 1833
Osceola 1833 – 1901
Osceola 1901 – present ( Osceola District )
Blytheville 1901 – present ( Chickasawba District )
County Courthouse – Blytheville
Location: 200 West Walnut Street / North 2nd Street
Built: 1919 – 1921
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Selligman and Ellesvard of Pine Bluff
Contractor: Stewart-McGee Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story brick and stone structure. The first story is faced with stone. The upper stories have buff colored brick divided by vertical stone dividers. Above the first story entrance is a small wrought iron balcony. The fourth story is recessed and has a flat roof line.
County Courthouse – Osceola
Location: 200 West Hale Avenue / Walnut Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: John Gaisford of Memphis, Tennessee
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone structure. The south front has a large porch with four high columns supporting a wide header with raised parapet along the top. On the centre of the roof is a large copper dome. The building was restored in 1991. The architect was John K Warriner of Osceola and the contractor was Oldfield Restoration of Cabot.
Photos taken 2009 and 2011