Miller County is named for James Miller, who was the first Governor of the Arkansas Territory.
Created: April 1, 1820
Texarkana 1880 – present
County Courthouse – Texarkana
Location: 400 Laurel Street / East 5th Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: E C Seibert
Contractor: Manhattan Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a stone framed central entrance on the first story. There is ornamentation on the stone facing. The north and south one story wings project from the main building. The fourth story is recessed. The building has a flat roof line. An addition was constructed in 1974. The architect was Reinheimer, Cox, Crumpton & Associates and the contractor was E W Johnson Construction Company.
Note: The first court met at the home of John Hall. The first courthouse was built at Jonesboro. In 1874, Texarkana became the county seat. The 1893 courthouse was designed by Gibbs & Bretsacher and constructed by Clark & Johnson. The building was demolished.
S – Caddo Parish, Louisiana
Old Courthouse cornerstone 1893
Photos taken 2010 and 2017