Little River County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Little River County
Little River

Little River County is named for the Little River which flows southeasterly through the county.

 

Created:   March 5, 1867

County Seat:        

Alleene              1867 – 1880

Richmond          1880 – 1902

Rocky Comfort   1902 – 1906

Ashdown            1906 – present

 

County Courthouse – Ashdown

    

Location:  351 2nd Street / West Main Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:   Sidney Stewart

Contractor:  R S O’Neal

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ashdown. The east front of the square shaped building has a large projecting portico with two high white colored columns rising to the top of the second story with a parapet above. The entrance is recessed. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal gold dome. A wide white colored cornice runs below the flat roof line.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in Richmond in 1880 after the county seat moved from Alleene. The courthouse burned in 1882 and the school house was used until the second courthouse was built soon after. The county seat was moved to Rocky Comfort in 1902 and then to Ashdown in 1906. The records were held in the Mizell-Loche Building until the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1907.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Sevier County

E – Sevier County and Hempstead County

S – Miller County and Bowie County, Texas

W – McCurtain County, Oklahoma

 

 

 

1847t10

County Courthouse – Ashdown

 

 

1217l19

 

 

1848t10

 

 

1850t10

 

 

1215l19

 

 

1849t10

 

 

1851t10

 

 

1855t10

 

 

1859t10

 

 

1858t10

 

 

1857t10

 

 

1860t10

 

 

1861t10

 

 

1221l19

Photos taken 2010 and 2019