Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was a Confederate general in the Civil War, and who lived from 1807 to 1870.
Created: April 17, 1873
Marianna 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Marianna
Location: 15 East Chestnut Street / Court Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George Mahan Jr. and Everett Wood
Contractor: Jennings & Samuel
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray stone and buff colored brick structure. The building sits on a rise overlooking the Public Square to the south in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with three rectangular openings on the first story with recessed entrances. On the second story is a porch with two columns rising to a wide header. The first story is faced with gray stone and the upper section of the building is buff colored brick. The roof line is flat. This is a Works Progress Administration project. On the north side is a modern addition built with dark red colored brick, concrete and glass.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built at Poplar Street and Mississippi Street in 1873. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Martin & Chamberlin and constructed in 1889 to 1890.
S – Phillips County
W – Monroe County
Photos taken 2012