Johnson County is named for Benjamin Johnson, who was the first judge of the federal district for Arkansas.
Created: November 16, 1833
Spadra Boat Landing 1833 – 1936
Clarksville 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Clarksville
Location: 215 West Main Street / South Fulton Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Italian Classical Revival
Architect: Haralson and Nelson
Contractor: Linebarger & Feaser
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored stone, white colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has three arched entrance on the first story. Six columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with recessed vertical windows between. There are east and west wings. A cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John D Edwards and constructed by A J Millard and R S King in 1874.
E – Pope County
S – Logan County
W – Franklin County
Photos taken 2011