Howard County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Howard County
Howard

Howard County is named for James H Howard, who was an Arkansas State Senator.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Polk County

E – Pike County and Hempstead County

S – Hempstead County

W – Sevier County and Polk County

 

Created:  April 17, 1873                          Map of Arkansas highlighting Howard County

County Seat:

Centre Point  1873 – 1905

Nashville       1905 – present

 

County Courthouse – Nashville

 

Location:  421 North Main Street / Bishop Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Erhart & Eichenbaum of Little Rock

Contractor:  E V Bird. of Fayetteville

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Nashville. The east front has a black colored stone frame around the central entrance on the first story. Above are vertical windows on the second story. The north and south sections project from the main building. The roof line is flat. The interior halls and stairwells are dominated by fields of original tile of all the various colors within a rich earth-tone palette. The tile covers the floors and extends up the walls to create a high dado in the hallways and stairwells. The courtroom located on the second story has carved decoration above the doorways, original wood panel doors and stylized geometric decoration of the applied wood pilasters which run along the walls. The judge’s bench, recorder’s table and jury box are all original. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the West 9th Judicial District and the County District Court of the 36th Judicial District. This was a Work Projects Administration project. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Howard County Courthouse

 

See:  The 9th Judicial District includes Clark County, Little River CountryPike County and Sevier County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Centre Point was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was a converted hotel in Centre Point. In 1905, the county seat was moved to Nashville where the second courthouse was built by F M Buxton, Banks Wright and E W Holt in 1906. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939 at a cost of $120,000.

 

  

1945t10

County Courthouse – Nashville

 

 

1946t10

 

 

1237l19

 

 

1947t10

 

 

1948t10

 

 

1949t10

Photos taken 2010 and 2019