Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: November 5, 1833
B Crowley Plantation 1833 – 1835
Paris 1835 – 1838
Gainesville 1838 – 1884
Paragould 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Paragould
Location: 320 West Court Street / North 4th Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Brackett-Krennerich and Associates, PA
Contractor: Ramson Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has eight brick pillars with a recessed entrance. The center section projects from the main building. A white colored horizontal band runs below the white colored topped flat roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola.
Old County Courthouse – Paragould
Location: SW – West Court Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: J E Shane
Contractor: W F Boon and S R McGinnis
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has an arched entrance with balcony and large arched window on the second story. The center section rises above the roof line to a parapet.
N – Clay County
S – Craighead County
Photos taken 2009