Garland County is named for Augustus Hill Garland, who was a United States Senator and the eleventh Governor of the State of Arkansas.
Created: April 5, 1873
Hot Springs 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Hot Springs
Location: 501 Ouachita Avenue / Hawthorne Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W R Parsons & Sons
Contractor: Atkinson Brothers
Description: The building faces northwest and is a four story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The northwest front has a slightly projecting center section with entrance on the first story and pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a square cupola. The building was destroyed by fire in 1913 and rebuilt. The architect was Theodore M Sanders and the contractor was Falls City Construction Company. An addition to the west wing of the building was started in 1974 and completed in 1975. The architect was Associated Architectual Engineers and Planner of Little Rock and the contractor was Floyd Sutton Corporation. The building was renovated in 1978.
County Government Office – Hot Springs
Location: 200 Woodbine Street / Hawthorne Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Arnold & Associates
Contractor: Suburban Builders, Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast front has a recessed center section with vertical pillars. There are vertical pilasters with a wide black band running along the flat roof line. The building is named as the Garland County Government Office Building.
Courthouse fire 1913
Old courthouse 1882
Photos taken 2011 and 2017