Calhoun County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Calhoun County
Calhoun

Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was the seventh Vice President of the United States of America.

 

Created:  December 6, 1850

County Seat:

Hampton 1850 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hampton

 

Location:  309 Main Street / South 2nd Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Frank W Gibb

Contractor:  Edgar L Koonce

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. On the northeast corner is a five story clock tower with open section on the fifth story and with clock at the roof. On the northwest corner is a smaller three story square tower. The north front has an arched central entrance with an arched window on each side and three large windows on the second story. On the sloped roof is a dormer. The stone contractor was Axel Anderson.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Dallas County

E – Cleveland County and Bradley County

S – Union County

W – Ouachita County

 

 

 

1040a11

 

 

1041a11

 

 

1042a11

 

 

1043a11

 

 

1045a11

 

 

1046a11

 

 

1047a11

Photos taken 2011