Ashley County is named for Chester Ashley, who was a United States Senator from Arkansas.
Created: November 30, 1848
Hamburg 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Hamburg
Location: 205 East Jefferson Street / North Oak Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Renshaw and Taylor
Contractor: Simmons and Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building has a central entrance on the south front with panel rising above the glass doors and showing the county seal. The windows are vertical with sections of brick wall between. The over hanging roof is supported by vertical white pillars. The roof is sloped slightly. On the east side is another rectangular building.
Note: The previous courthouses were designed by F W Gibbs in 1905, which courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1921 and by Charles Thompson in 1923, which courthouse was replaced by the present courthouse.
N – Drew County
E – Chicot County
S – Morehouse Parish, Louisiana
Photos taken 2012