Pinal County is named for the Pinal Mountains and for the Pinal Native American people who lived in the area, and “pinal” is the Spanish for “pines”.
Created: February 1, 1875
Florence 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 971 Jason Lopez Circle / North Pinal Parkway
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Durrant Architects
Contractor: D L Withers Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored concrete and steel structure. The north front has a central glass entrance with concrete pillars supporting an extended portico above the second story. The windows are horizontal and narrow with square windows on the third story. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the north side of the city.
Second County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 31 North Pinal Street / East 11th Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Architect: James M Creighton
Contractor: A J Doran and T A Adams
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has metal columns, lintels and cornices. The west front has a central entrance frames with white trim and with a small balcony above on the second story. On the roof is a white peaked dormer. White trim is located above the windows. White colored cornices run along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large cupola with clock and red roof. A shortage of funds resulted in painted metal clock faces which show the time at 11:44. The rounded section on the east side was the jail and the courtroom was on the second story. The building was renovated in 1915 to 1917, making the building a “T” shape. The architect was Lesalter & Kibby of Phoenix and the contractor was Snelling & Boring. Additions were added in 1933, 1975 and 1983. The building was restored in 2011 to 2012. The architect was Swan Architects Inc. and the contractor was Concord General Contracting of Mesa. The building is part of the County Administration Complex and houses county offices.
First County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 24 West Ruggles Avenue / Main Street
Style: Sonoran and Anglo-American
Architect: Levi Ruggles
Contractor: Levi Ruggles
Description: The building faces south and is a one story adobe brick and wood structure. The south and east sides have a long porch supported by pillars. The roof is hipped. The building served as courthouse until 1891. Since then, the building has functioned as a hospital, health center, home for the elderly and a museum. It is now the McFarland Historical State Park.
Third County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 574 South Central Avenue / West 20th Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Frederic O Knipe
Contractor: Redden Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a one story structure. The roof line is flat.
E – Graham County
S – Pima County
W – Maricopa County
Photos taken 2008