Graham County

US States / A-G / Arizona / Graham County
Graham

Graham County is named for Mount Graham, the highest mountain in the Pinaleno Mountains.

 

Surrounding Couty Courthouses: 

N – Gila CountyNavajo County and Apache County

E – Greenlee County

S – Cochise County

W – Pima CountyPinal County and Gila County

 

Created:  March 10, 1881                       Map of Arizona highlighting Graham County

County Seat:        

Safford           1881 – 1883

Solomonville  1883 – 1915

Safford           1915 – present

 

County Courthouse – Safford

 

Location:  800 West Main Street / South 8th Avenue

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Royal W Lescher and John Rinker Kibbey

Contractor:  Lutgarding and Eggan

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story reddish colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Safford. The wall surfaces are faced with El Paso pressed red brick and contrast in texture with the smooth concrete foundation. The east front has a recessed portico supported by two large white colored Doric columns. A white colored horizontal band extends around the building above the second story windows. There is a white colored cornice with a white colored edged pediment above the entrance. On the interior, the main staircase features the original wooden balustrade and newel post, Wooden wainscoting, moldings, interior doors and door trim are all intact in the main hallways, allowing the public areas to convey the historic essence of a turn-of-the-century space. The courtroom is located on the second story. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Graham County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1881 and Safford was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was an adobe structure erected in 1881 at 615 First Street. The county seat was moved to Solomonville in 1883. The second courthouse was an adobe structure erected in 1883. The third courthouse was designed by H G Howe and built by William Douglas in 1884 at a cost of $11,700. In 1915, the county seat was returned to Safford. The fourth courthouse was the Riggs Building at 401 West Main Street and Central Avenue built in 1901 by Brannish Riggs which is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 at a cost of $44,404.

 

 

0547az08

County Courthouse – Safford

 

 

0548az08

 

 

0550az08

 

 

0551az08

 

 

0552az08

View east from County Courthouse

Photos taken 2008