Gila County is named for the Gila River which flows through the county, and which river was named for the Spanish contraction of “Hah-quah-sa-eel”, a Yuma word meaning “running water which is salty”.
Created: February 8, 1881
Globe 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Globe
Location: 1400 East Ash Street / East Monroe Street
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: Anne Nicholas Rysdale
Contractor: Lawrence, Hickey & Sons Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff brick structure. The front of the building forms a single story connected to the two story south section. The entrance has four brick arches with an open courtyard behind. On the east side is a large arched glass window. The south side of the building has large arched glass windows towards the east side. The building has a black roof.
Old County Courthouse – Globe
Location: NE – North Broad Street / East Oak Street
Built: 1905 – 1907
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: W R Norton
Contractor: Stone masons working on the Roosevelt Dam
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brown stone structure. The building has steep steps on the west front leading up to the single entrance doorway. On the third story are circular windows with cream-white trim. The upper centre portion of the building is a raised cream-white faced section. The courtroom was located on the third floor. The building remained vacant from 1976 to 1884 and is now the Cobre Valley Center for the Arts.
S – Pinal County