Cochise County is named for the Apache Native American leader “Cochise”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Hidalgo County, New Mexico
S – Mexico
Created: February 21, 1881
Tombstone 1881 – 1929
Bisbee 1929 – present
County Courthouse – Bisbee
Location: 100 Quality Hill Road / Oak Avenue
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Roy Place
Contractor: Clinton Campbell
Description: The building faces north and is a five story concrete and steel structure. The building is located on the side of a hill. Dark brown stone frames the entrance which has designs and the figures of two miners.
Old County Courthouse – Tombstone
Location: SW – Toughnut Street / 3rd Street – Tombstone
Built: 1882 – 1883
Architect: Frank Walker
Contractor: A J Ritter
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a small white wood portico with balcony on the second story. The building forms a cross with peaked roofs on the east, north and south. Stone trim is along each corner. On the building center is a square white cupola with mansard green roof. The building served as the courthouse until 1929 when the county seat was moved to Bisbee. The building is now the Tombstone Courthouse Historic State Park.
Photos taken 2008