Old Monroe County Courthouse – Perdue Hill
Location: 42 Dales Ferry Road / Highway 84
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white clapboard wood frame structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Perdue Hill. The east front has a central entrance with projecting central wood frame portico. The windows are vertical and the roof is hipped. The building was erected in Claiborne and served as the courthouse until 1832 when the county seat was moved to Monroeville. In 1884, the building was moved to Perdue Hill. The first story was used as courtroom and the Claiborne Baptist Church and the second story was used as the Claiborne Masonic Lodge.
History: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in Claiborne in 1824 and the still standing building was moved to Perdue Hill in 1884. In 1832, the county seat was moved to Monroeville and the second courthouse was built but burned in 1833. The third courthouse was built in 1852. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1962 to 1963.
See: The old Monroe County Courthouse is located in Monroe County with county seat in Monroeville.
Old County Courthouse – Perdue Hill
Pictures taken 2020