Monroe County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Monroe County
Monroe

Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.

 

Created:  June 29, 1815

County Seat:

Monroeville  1815 – present

 

County Courthouse – Monroeville

 

Location:  65 North Alabama Street / Pineville Road

Built:  1962 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery

Contractor:  S J Curry & Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story orange-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Monroeville on the north side of the old courthouse. The east front has a long porch across the front supported by eight concrete pillars with balcony on the second story. The flat roof line has a wide band running below the eaves.

 

Note: The architect, Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery, designed couthouses in DeKalb County, Geneva County and Marengo County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Monroeville

 

monroe-o

 

Location:  31 North Alabama Street / Claiborne Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:   Andrew J Bryan

Contractor:  M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story orange-red brick structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Monroeville. The east two story front has a projecting center section rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the north and south sides of the center section are the entrances. On the east side are north and south wings which also rise to pediments at the roof line. Behind is a circular three story section containing the oval shaped courtroom on the second story. The west section is rectangular. Above the east front rises a high white colored octagonal dome with clock and steep roof. Above the center circular section is a low wide octagonal cupola. The building was restored in 1991 to 2002. The architect was Holmes & Holmes of Mobile and the contractor was Donnie Evans Construction and Creel Construction. The building houses the Monroe County Heritage Museum.

 

See:  The architect,  Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouse in Coffee County and Lee County, in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish;  in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Monroe County Courthouse.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in Claiborne in 1824 and the still standing building was moved to Perdue Hill in 1884. In 1832, the county seat was moved to Monroeville and the second courthouse was built but burned in 1833. The third courthouse was built in 1852. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1962 to 1963.

 

Other Old Courthouse

 

Old Monroe County Courthouse – Perdue Hill

 

Courthouses: 

 Wilcox County

E – Butler County and Conecuh County

S – Escambia County and Baldwin County

W – Clarke County

 

 

 

1596f09

County Courthouse – Monroeville

 

 

1597f09

 

 

1598f09

 

 

555g20

 

 

551g20

 

 

550g20

 

 

549g20

 

 

1600f09

 

 

558g20

Old County Courthouse – Monroeville

 

 

559g20

 

 

1588f09

 

 

1589f09

 

 

1591f09

 

 

569g20

 

 

580g20

 

 

572g20

 

 

573g20

 

 

574g20

 

 

576g20

 

 

578g20

 

 

581g20

 

 

582g20

 

 

586g20

 

 

587g20

 

 

1592f09

 

 

592g20

 

 

1593f09

Photos taken 2009 and 2020