Marengo County is named for the Battle of Marengo, which was fought on June 14, 1800 between the French forces and Austrian forces near Alessandria in Italy.
Created: February 6, 1818
Linden 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Linden
Location: 101 East Coats Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1966 – 1968
Architect: Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery
Contractor: C F Halstead Contractor Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico in the center supported by six square brick pillars with pediment above at the roof line. The roof is sloped. The building was renovated in 2006. The architect was Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood Inc. of Montgomery and the contractor was Lovelady Construction Company, Inc. of Selma.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Lockwood and constructed by Dobson & Hand in 1901.
Old County Courthouse – Linden
Location: Cahaba Avenue / Mobile Street
Built: 1649 – 1850
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Town & Doc Davis
Contractor: Town & Doc Davis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellow colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a recessed porch with two large while columns.
S – Clarke County
Photos taken 2010