Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Created: December 13, 1808
Huntsville 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Huntsville
Location: 100 Northside Square / Jefferson Street North
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Northington, Smith, Kranert & Associates and Thomas A. Jones
Contractor: Pearce, Demoss & King Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a ten story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north section of the building is two stories with an overhang and vertical pillars with recessed glass walls. The south end of the building is a high glass and steel tower with flat roof line.
Note: A courthouse was designed by George Steele and built by William Wilson and James Mitchell in 1838. The previous courthouse was designed by C K Colley and constructed by Little-Clecker Company in 1914.
W – Limestone County
Photos taken 2010