Lauderdale County is named for James Lauderdale, who was a Colonel during the War of 1812.
Created: February 6, 1818
Florence 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 200 South Court Street / West College Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Northington, Smith & Kranert
Contractor: J M Massey Jr.
Description: The building faces east and is a five story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a canopy on the first story at the entrance. Narrow white colored vertical dividers separate the small windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Nollan Vaught in 1822. The second and previous courthouse was designed by J W Golucke and constructed by Neely & Smith in 1901.
E – Limestone County
W – Tishomingo County, Mississippi
Photos taken 2010 and 2018